* She was born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu in 1910 in Skopje, Yugoslavia.
* Her family was of Albanian descent.
* In 1928 she suddenly decided to become a nun and traveled to Dublin, Ireland, to join the Sisters of Loreto, a religious order founded in the seventeenth century.
* On May 24, 1931, she took the name of "Teresa" in honor of St. Teresa of Lisieux (The Gale Group, 1998).
* In 1950 she founded a religious order of nuns in Calcutta, India, called the Missionaries of Charity. Through this association, she dedicated her life to helping the poor, the sick, and the dying around the world, particularly those in India.
* In 1965 the Society became an International Religious Family by a decree of Pope Paul VI.
* When Mother Teresa was eighty years old, she started to suffer from heart problems. Even though Mother Teresa became weak, she still continued traveling and working.
* Eight years later Mother Teresa died on September 5th, 1997, of a heart attack. She was eighty-seven years old.