Tom Maclean is in dilemma of identifying the possible appropriate course of action he would take, acknowledging all negative attention of Google, Inc. entering the Chinese territory through the development of Google.cn, a search engine residing in China.
* To provide the best possible course of action that is appropriate for Tom Maclean to communicate in the meeting with supervisor and his peer group.
* To assess thoroughly the factors and courses of action concerning Google.cn that may affect the company.
AREAS OF CONSIDERATION
1. Google had adopted the informal corporate motto "Don't be evil" from the founders' letter and also developed an ethical code of conduct for both internal and external audiences.
2. Google's mission is "to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful."
3. China's well-documented abuses of human rights are in violation of internationally recognized norms, stemming both from the authorities' intolerance of dissent and the inadequacy of legal safeguards for basic freedoms. In 2005, China stepped up monitoring, harassment, intimidation, and arrest of journalists, Internet writers, defense lawyers, religious activists, and political dissidents.